The OF Blog: Five reviews from this Labor Day weekend

Monday, September 06, 2010

Five reviews from this Labor Day weekend

Posted five reviews so far the past three days on the SFF Masterworks blog:

Poul Anderson, Three Hearts & Three Lions - I have some rather snarky things to say about this book, so you may want to click on the link above and read it for yourself.

Patricia A. McKillip, The Forgotten Beasts of Eld - Mostly enjoyed this early work of hers.

Michael Moorcock, Gloriana - problematic, but ultimately a good novel.

Walter Tevis, Mockingbird - one of the saddest dystopias that I have read.  Still a very good novel.

Walter M. Miller, Jr., Dark Benediction - collection of 1950s stories that presage his classic A Canticle for Leibowitz.  Recommended.


By week's end, I hope to have reviews of Tim Powers' The Drawing of the Dark, Arkady and Boris Strugatsky's Roadside Picnic, Geoff Ryman's The Child Garden, and Alfred Bester's The Demolished Man on this blog and Brian Aldiss' Helliconia and the two volumes of Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar stories on the SFF Masterworks blog.  Looks like I'm well on my way to my goal of having reviewed at least half of the books in both lists by Christmas time.

1 comment:

Robin M said...

You rock Larry with all the SFF reviews. You are leaving the resting of us in your reading dust. I am hoping to get my review of Something Wicked This Way Comes done in the next week or so.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites