The OF Blog: Nine Years

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Nine Years

It was nine years ago today that I started the OF Blog (then named OF Blog of the Fallen) as an extension of wotmania's Other Fantasy section.  Yet even in the early years, when posting was sporadic (then, like now, I was working well over 40 hours/week), I kept envisioning doing something different than just writing reviews of books read.  One primary influence those early days (even though I rarely commented on his blog) was Matt Cheney (and if you aren't familiar with him, you should be; go read this post about his ten years of blogging) and it's been a pleasure to have worked with him and others over the intervening nine years of this blog's existence.

Granted, there have been some shifts in focus.  Tastes, after all, do change with age, or perhaps things once loved more come back to reclaim my affection.  I know there are many who were disappointed that I have largely (but not totally) stopped covering new SF/F releases.  Some of that is due to burnout and some due to having limited time to cover books at all.  Perhaps there will be a few more reviews in the near future (it has been a month or two at least since I've written any reviews) now that my body is (slowly) adjusting to an 11:30 AM-1 AM work/travel schedule (with an even earlier day on Wednesdays), but there might be more gaps of a week or so in posting (chances are weekends are best for posting).

Regardless of the increased demands on my time, I still intend to keep blogging (and tweeting, for those who follow my Twitter account).  Nine years is almost a quarter of my life (next year, it'll be exactly - within 39 days - 25%) and certainly a lot of maturation has taken place over those years.  Curious to see what will happen as this last year of my 30s passes and I approach the grand old age of 40 next July.  Should be fun.  Hopefully, some of you will be along for the ride (and won't be scared by the squirrels who track my every move here).

P.S.  Here's a fairly-meaningless (and slightly inaccurate - the tracking actually began back in 2010, not 2007) chart of page views over the past few years.  Surprised at how stable it is, as I would have thought the totals would have been much less since 2010:

 

2 comments:

Gabriele Campbell said...

Happy Bloggiversary.

I'm only a few months behind (mine turned 8 years in May) and I remember I found your blog during the first weeks; so I've been along for a considerable part of your journey. Here's to the next 9 years, in whatever shape the OF Blog may take.

Lasītāja said...

!Felicidades!
Tal vez te guste estas fotos de ardilla:
http://ulicam.blogspot.com/2013/08/theres-huge-squirrel.html

 
Add to Technorati Favorites