The OF Blog: List of books/movies purchased/already owned that will be part of the World War I literature review project

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

List of books/movies purchased/already owned that will be part of the World War I literature review project

Although I have most of the same titles listed over at World War I Literature, Art, and Cinema, I thought I would list here the titles I've already acquired for the review project.  Bolded titles indicate those I have already read in the past and italics the ones I'm currently working on at this time:

Erich Maria Remarque, All Quiet on the Western Front (novel; 1930 cinema)

Modris Eksteins, Rites of Spring (cultural history)

Barbara Tuchman, The Guns of August (history)

Ford Madox Ford, Parade’s End (novel trilogy)

Liviu Rebreanu, The Forest of the Hanged (cinema; novel will be read in Romanian)

Vicente Blasco Ibáñez, The Four Riders of the Apocalypse (novel)

Robert Graves, Goodbye to All That (memoir that in part covers his experiences in World War I)

Henri Barbusse, Under Fire (novel)

Jaroslav Hašek, The Good Soldier Svejk (novel)

John Dos Passos, The Three Soldiers (novel)

Dalton Trumbo, Johnny Got His Gun (novel)

Mario Rigoni Stern, Storia di Tönle/L’anno della vittoria (novels)

Mark Helprin, A Soldier of the Great War (novel)

Pat Barker, Regeneration trilogy (novels)

Wilfred Owen, “Anthem for Doomed Youth” (poetry – will cover his other major war poems as well)

Siegfried Sassoon, Memoirs of a Fox-Hunting Man (novel); The War Poems of Siegfried Sassoon (poetry)

Greg King and Sue Woolmans, The Assassination of the Archduke:  Sarajevo 1914 and the Romance That Changed the World (history)

R.C. Sherriff, Journey’s End (play)

Miroslav Krleža, Hrvatski Bog Mars (short stories; title translated from Serbo-Croatian is The Croatian God Mars)

Joseph Boyden, Three Day Road (novel)

Tim Cross (ed.), The Lost Voices of World War I:  An International Anthology of Writers, Poets & Playwrights (anthology)
 
Sergeant York (movie)

H.G. Well, Mr. Britling Sees It Through (novel)

Alexander Soltzhenitsyn, August 1914 (novel)

Alan Karmer, Dynamic of Destruction:  Culture and Mass Killing in the First World War (history)

Vejas Liulevicius,  War Land on the Eastern Front: Culture, National Identity and German Occupation in World War I (history)

C.S. Forester, Brown on Resolution (novel)

Jessica Gregson, The Angel Makers

Philippe Claudel, Les âmes grises (novel)


To these I expect to add at least 100-150 more over the next couple of years.  Yes, there's a very good reason why I decided to set up a dedicated site for this (plus I might for the first time ever solicit contributions from others, particularly for certain works that would benefit from having multiple perspectives presented).


No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites