The OF Blog: Interesting...

Monday, October 20, 2014

Interesting...

I literally have only two minutes before I have to leave for work, so I'll edit this post tonight to reflect my take on this.  But for now, presented without comment:

Apologies and Finality

The Things That We Do:  On Mistakes, On Apologies


Edit:  

Words are cheap unless there is a continual effort of repentance here. While these apologies sound good, it'll be a long time for many to forgive her actions. But in reading this, I couldn't help but think of those times that I might have helped enabled this behavior. I did at the time two years ago think her acerbic reviews were a nice, bracing counter to the "cult of niceness," but I did become uncomfortable at seeing the personal attacks, however at the time I was either silent or maybe slightly complicit in the verbal abuse. I regretted and still regret this and that is something I should note before commenting at all on this matter.

 So in reading this past week all of these posts on the RH matter, I saw a lot of hurt and anger on display. Words alone will not heal these griefs. Hopefully those who were friends before this can find it in themselves to reconcile. Those injured relationships and betrayed trusts are the worst casualties of this. So yeah, she has a lot to do to redress all of these hurts. If she'll do this, then things will improve. But if it's just one more way to deflect ultimate responsibility and to leave open a recurrence of this hateful behavior, then all of these words will not just be in vain, but they'll just be one more dagger to the hearts of those willing to trust. Time will tell. This is all I have to say on this, as anything else would risk continuing the arguments I've seen elsewhere over the past week.

4 comments:

James said...

*sigh*

I chose the worst time to check in on the community.

chris said...

The apologies have got nothing to do with protecting her promising career as a writer. And I'd be a cynical misanthrope to suggest otherwise.

Larry Nolen said...

What's wrong with cynicism? ;)

James said...

Sriduangkaew is a good writer and that's pretty much all I care about. Was she a horrible person? After the hours I have spent reading up on this mess, I have to admit that I just don't care.

Maybe I'm just a callous asshole.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites